Everyone enjoys having a beautiful smile that can hide any flaws in your face and make you look gorgeous. To wear a nice smile, you need to have a beautiful set of teeth.
With time, your teeth decay due to several reasons and those look bad. Also, many people are not blessed with a fine set of teeth. So, with age, when you lose any teeth, a dental implant is the way to get back your natural set of teeth without any fuss.
Dental implant surgery is one of the best ways to remove the root area of decayed or missing teeth and fixes an artificial tooth at that place. This entire process has certain stages through which the patient has to go through. The all on 4 dental implants are one of the best processes through which the entire top or bottom row are replaced with artificial teeth.
What You Can Expect Before Dental Implant Surgery?
It is very important to take perfect care of your mouth before going for dental implant surgery. You will be instructed by the dentist to follow certain advice before the surgery. The pre-surgery instructions usually include the following things-
- You should eat a healthy breakfast on the day of surgery. Often dentists prefer to give a sedative to you and that’s why ask you not to have any food on the evening before the surgery.
- If your doctor decides you need surgery, he may recommend a specific antibacterial mouthwash for regular use up to surgery.
- Make sure you have arranged proper transportation to reach the clinic and come back.
Once you follow all these guidelines, it is time to go through an x-ray to check out the area and the condition before implanting it.
If you have decided to go for dental implant surgery, then you need to consult the best dentist around. Your doctor will decide if you need bone grafting before the dental implant. If your jawbone is not thick enough, bone grafting will be done. In this method, the dentist will borrow sturdy bone from another part of your body and go for bone grafting. Usually, bone grafting can take only an hour if you need very little. Else, the dentist will decide how much time it will take.
What to Expect During the Dental Implant Surgery?
After following all the advice of the dentist, finally, the surgery day arrives. The only question that troubles many patients is that ‘Is the surgery painful?’ Now, there will be an incision in your mouth and it will be uncomfortable for you. But, the dentist will use local anesthesia or any kind of sedatives that will make the area numb and you won’t feel any pain during the surgery.
After you are anaesthetised, the surgeon will follow the following steps-
- He will make a small incision inside your mouth to open the bone where the implant to be placed.
- He will use a drill to create space for implanting the artificial teeth.
- Usually, dental implants come with titanium screw, crown and abutment. The dentist fixes the screw at the space.
- It will take time to grow the jawbone and fuse with the metal post the dentist implant there.
- In the next sitting, when the bone regrowth completes, the dentist will fix the abutment with the titanium screw. It will keep the crown at the place.
- Again you need to wait for a few weeks as your gum will heal within this period.
- In the next appointment, the doctor will check the condition and will take the teeth impression to know if implants can fit well.
- At the final step, the natural-looking crown is fixed on the abutment.
The entire process will take a few weeks to a month, depending on the number of teeth you want to replace.
How to Recover after Surgery?
You will feel a bit of discomfort after surgery. You can face problems like:
- Swelling at gum and face
- A bit of bruising
- Slight bleeding
- Pain at the place of the implant
Your dentist may prescribe you medicines, like painkillers to get rid of pain and discomfort. If you suffer from immense pain and it doesn’t heal with painkillers, you should consult your dentist immediately.
To have a faster recovery, you can follow certain instructions, like-
- Avoid having hard and crunchy foods
- Go for regular check-ups
- Brush and floss your teeth every day
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash
You should treat the new teeth like your natural teeth. In the beginning, it will feel a bit weird, but you will soon get used to it. The success rate of dental implants is quite high, but it completely depends on how you care about it well.
You May Also Like
- How do dental implants work
- What to Expect Before, During and After Dental Implant Surgery?
- Why Is It Important To Replace Missing Teeth?
- Are Dental implants Right For you & How to Find The Right Dental Implant
- An Overview of Dental Implant Procedure Steps
- How to Ensure your Dental Implants Last a Lifetime
- Healthy Mouth, Healthy Body… But What’s the Link with Replacing Missing Teeth?
- How Much Does it cost to Replace Missing Teeth
- Same Day Teeth – a New Option For Replacing Missing Teeth?
- How to replace missing teeth